Additional Math Pages & Resources

Monday, September 27, 2010

It's HOT HOT HOT here today

I've lived in San Diego most of my life, and I don't remember it ever being this hot. Whew!

How hot is it? Darn HOT. Or as TV food expert Alton Brown would say, Gosh-darn HOT.

Let's see if we can take all this QUALITATIVE emotional whining and turn it into a math lesson on QUANTITATIVE measurements. Give me the facts and only the facts, etc.

WAREHOUSE READINGS

I went to the thermometer in the warehouse.

This measuring instrument sits on a cabinet about 5 feet off the ground, in the shade, in the middle of 30,000 square feet of warehouse space.

The ceiling's over 20 feet, so you wouldn't call the thermometer location unusual. It reads a cool 99.3° F. Humidity 8%.

For metric lovers, that's around 37 degrees.

I grabbed it off the shelf and took a walk!







PARKING LOT READINGS

I walked around the outside of the building, counter-clockwise at a slow pace. I was staggered by the heat!

I'm not talking about a black asphalt pavement. This is strictly white concrete. In 5 minutes the thermometer came up to 106.9° F with 6% humidity - almost 42° C!

For those of you in tropical climates, I sympathize with your high humidity levels. But we are being scorched and all the life is being sucked out of the plants and soil. The Santa Ana winds are blowing off the desert up over the mountains to us.

This is how (and when) the infamous California wildfires start.




ATTIC READINGS

We have a couple thousand square feet of unimproved office space upstairs. That means we have a concrete floor, and insulated roof, and nothing else. I waited a reasonable time and got the heck out of there!

The temperature inside was 102.6° F and the humidity had climbed a little to 9%.

It's not the place I want to be working this afternoon! Luckily we rarely go up there except to stash our Christmas ornaments and old Excel Math invoices from 1998.






COMPUTER ROOM READINGS

Our fixed thermometer says 78° F and the 25% humidity is delightful.

Maybe the systems need to be inspected and the files backed up.

If you dial 866 866 (again) 7026 and ask for the computer room you might be able to find me cool, calm and collected.








If you see any fires heading our way, please give us a warning telephone call, okay?


I took this picture during our last wildfire season
 (just before we evacuated the building)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Type your comment here