Additional Math Pages & Resources

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Mother's Day Memories

Happy Mother's Day to our favorite moms and grandmothers!

Feel free to send your mom or the mother figure in your life a special Mother's Day e-card courtesy of Arianna Huffington and the Huffington Post: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/10/mothers-day-e-card_n_5302554.html

In her post, Arianna tells a story (about her mom) very similar to one that happened to me. I sang in our church choir with a sweet older lady in her 80s with a wonderful sense of humor—Edith. I was in my 20s and Edith had traveled all over the world with her husband. She had lots of china sets, punch bowls, antique furniture, screens from China, etc. One evening at choir I admired her necklace and she took it off and gave it to me! I so surprised, I tried to say no thanks, but she wouldn't hear of it.

A few years later, Edith joined my mom and family for Easter dinner. We had a wonderful time with family and friends. I had just become engaged and my fiancee and I were picking out our china and other wedding registry items. I really liked a simple china pattern with a thin gold line around white plates. After Easter, Edith invited me over to her house and gave us a wedding gift of a cut crystal punch bowl with an assortment of cups plus china service for 14! The china was the exact pattern I was planning to register for, and it was carefully packed in quilted china keepers. What a blessing she was to a young couple starting out without much of anything.

We still use that china to this day for Thanksgiving, Easter, Christmas and whenever we have a large group of guests. I always share the story of my dear friend Edith who gave us such a special and long-lasting gift. This fall my husband and I will celebrate our 30th anniversary and the china will continue to be a major part of our family birthday dinners and holiday celebrations.

Although Edith and our moms are no longer with us, the impact they made on our lives and the legacy of love, kindness and hospitality they left with us continues to live on.

"What wisdom can you find that is greater than kindness?"

This week, be sure to thank those special ladies in your life. I'll be doing the same!

New to Excel Math? Visit our website to learn more and take a look at sample math lessons.
You might also like these articles:
May Day Teacher Appreciation
Excel Math: TEKS Aligned and STAAR Ready
Happy Birthday, Shakespeare!
Excel Math: Powerful in a Core or Supplement Position
Top-Notch Math Lessons for Transitional Kindergarten

No comments:

Post a Comment

Type your comment here