Additional Math Pages & Resources

Monday, August 16, 2010

How Long?

How long has multiple mathematical and social meanings.

  • Distance - How long are your legs, oh giant giraffe?
  • Future Prediction - How long can you keep up barking, you ornery dog?
  • Past Remembrance - How long have we been going together, honey?
  • Both past and future - How long was Bill Murray stuck in the Groundhog's Day movie?
================================

Believe it or not there is a blog dedicated to Groundhog Day movie. You remember the story about the groundhog who didn't see his shadow ... well I won't spoil the movie for you. Go see it for yourself.

A blogger worked out how many days the Murray character was stuck there. About 8 years, was his guess. Director/Screenwriter Harold Ramis said he reckons it was more like 30-40 years.

================================

I once worked on a curriculum study guide to help readers learn more about the CS Lewis series The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. During the production of this study guide, one of our artists developed a map of Narnia. She actually called a US Forestry Service office and asked,


"How long a walk could three small children take through a snowy wood if they walked from lunch time to tea time? And how long would that journey be if they had a beaver to guide them, etc. etc."

If I recall correctly, it was not a very long conversation. Click. Call another office. Repeat. Finally she came up with enough suggestions to calculate the distance from one end of Narnia to another.

There have been lots of maps done as people have imagined Narnia - and for me to avoid stepping on anyone's copyrighted toes, you can click here  to see a long list of some of those maps.

================================

How Long Has This Been Going On is Van Morrison's twenty-fourth album. I have about 20 of his albums. My wife gets a bit tired of me listening to them, especially when he does a song called Take Me Back 

Take me back, take me back, take me back
Take me way back, take me way back, take me way back
Take me way back, take me way back, take me way back
Take me way back, take me way back, ah!
Take me way, way, way, way, way, way, way back, huh!

Ah, ah, take me back, take me back, take me back, take me back
Take me back, take me back, take me back, take me back
Take me back (woah) to when the world made more sense
 
Way, way back, way back
 
Take me back, there, take me way back there
Take me back, take me back, take me back
Take me way, way, way back, way back
 
Take me back, take me back, take me back
Take me way, way, way, way, way, way, way
 
Oh, ah, take me way back, when, when, when, when, when, when
When, when, when, when, when, when, when
 
Everything felt, so right, and so good
Everything felt, so right, and so good
Everything felt, so right, and so good, ah
Everything felt, so right, and so good
Everything felt, so right, and so good, so good
In the eternal now, in the eternal moment
In the eternal now, in the eternal moment
In the eternal now
Everything felt so good, so good, so good, so good, so good

When you lived in the light

OK, I admit I left out some of the words, but didn't you find yourself thinking "How long is this going to go on?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Type your comment here