I bought three old icons and I want to hang them above a small fireplace mantle. Unlike many of my simple hanging projects I can't just bang a nail in the middle of the wall then move it around to get things straight. Here are the issues:
- The wall is made of brick so holes have to be drilled for hangers
- I want my 3 items to hang at the same height and to be evenly spaced
- The three pictures are slightly differing sizes and are not "square"
- The pictures already have hangers on their backs which I don't want to move
- The hangers are not in exactly the same position on the backs
- I need to know the sizes of the 3 icons (they are almost the same, I learned).
- I need to know the width of the mantle - is it wide enough that the three will fit with appropriate spacing between them? (yes)
- I need to decide on the height of the icons above the mantle. I think an inch or two is okay.
- I need to know the drop from the top of the icon to the wire, to know where to drill into the wall.
Let's call the icons A, B and C and the mantle M and the hook locations HA, HB, HC.
We'll worry about the horizontal spacing first.
Is Mwidth - (Awidth + Bwidth + Cwidth) greater than 0? Yes. The answer is 7 inches, therefore
A + 3.5 + B + 3.5 + C = M
This means the horizontal hook spacing will be, starting from the left edge of the mantle,
HA = Awidth ÷2
and starting from the right edge of the mantle,
HC = Cwidth ÷2
and finally, a hook for the last icon is
HB = HA + (Awidth ÷2) + 3.5" + (Bwidth ÷2)
or to be safer, just put it in the middle of the other two hangers
HB = (distance between HA to HC ÷ 2)
The vertical position is calculated like this -
The icons are 12" tall, subtract 2" inches drop to get 10 inches then add 1" for clearance at the bottom.
If I put the hangers 11" above the mantle the icons should be at the right height.
Of course, on a brick wall it's difficult because I'd prefer to drill into the mortar rather than the bricks. I had to put the icons slightly lower, but not touching the shelf, so my holes went into mortar.
Here's how it came out: