I suppose this website makes the most sense to people in the UK, but those of us in the rest of the world can also have a chuckle. The creator made a calculator that converts your data into units that make sense to the average citizen.
If you can't get these jokes, then you can shift to a related site, called The Size of Texas.
Howdee y'all. If you are based in the USA, the chances are that the concept of an area the size of Wales will be pretty darned meaningless. Hence this special U.S. version of the Wales-o-meter.
But I will leave it to you to find that!
Here are his units
- area = size of Wales (for large objects) or Whales (smaller objects) or Prince of Wales (smallest objects)
- height = Nelson's column (or Big Ben's tower)
- length = a London bus (or length of the Thames river)
- volume = Olympic swimming pool (or Royal Albert Hall)
- weight = an African elephant
NOTE: After a recent restoration, Nelson's column was found to be about 15 feet shorter than it was long thought to be.
For comparison purposes, California is 20 times larger than Wales, and San Diego county is a bit more than half the size of Wales. In case you wanted real units, Wales is roughly 8,000 square miles. Here's a map of Wales, if you don't know what and where I am talking about! [click for a larger view]
WALES relative to the rest of the British Isles.